Goodluck Jonathan fires back atThisday over exile report

Former president Goodluck Jonathan who was reported to have gone into temporary exile in Côte De Ivoire has fired back at the newspaper over the report– Jonathan’s frequent absence in the country makes Nigerians think of him planning to escape Nigeria– Jonathan said he is taking it easy in Cote d’Ivoire and when he’s ready, he will return to NigeriaPresident Alhassan Ouattara of Côte d’ Ivoire on Monday visited PresidentGoodluck Jonathan at the State House, Abuja to congratulate him on the concluded peaceful general 2016elections in Nigeria“I am not in exile. I am here resting,”former President Goodluck Jonathan has fired back at Thisday newspaper.Speaking exclusively to the newspaper via a telephone call, Jonathan said he has no reason to run away from Nigeria.  He however confirmed that he traveled to some cities in the United States of America,then departed the country for Londonbefore arriving Cote d’Ivoire via Paris.He also said his visit to Cote d’Ivoire is not the first time since he stepped down as President in 2015.READ ALSO:GEJ on exile: Jonathan reacts as his ex-aide mocks Buhari over failed visit to Lagos“So what… I am not in exile. I am hereresting. Yes I am in Cote d’Ivoire, I have been here for a week resting and this is my second trip to the country since I stepped down as president,”Mr Jonathan said.He maintained however that he was not in exile because he had no reason to leave Nigeria as he had done his best for his country as president.“I have made sacrifices for Nigeria. I am praised all over Africa for avertingbloodshed and for the peaceful transition from one government to another, but it seems Nigeria does not appreciate my efforts.“I have done my best for this country and if I have to die for it, I will do so. However, I am taking it easy here (Cote d’Ivoire) and when I am ready, I will come back,”he said.THISDAY had the former president Goodluck Jonathan has gone into exile in Côte De Ivoire to avoid a possible arrest by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over corrupt activities during his administration.Last month the ex-president visited America, where he was awarded for promoting peace and democracy in Africa.He also met with Andrew Forrest, an Australian billionaire and the founder of the Walk Free Foundation (WFF), to discuss modern slavery in Africa and around the world.Want to read news with extra convenience? Install our app from HERE

About Author Mohamed Abu 'l-Gharaniq

when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search

Career Celebrity Education Entertainment Football Inspired Music Network News Novels Sport Sports Stories Today in history twitter Updates